Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Bond Connection (DG's Blog)

It's very strange that a few readers made comments about James Bond after my last blog. Strange for many reasons. Firstly, I hadn't mentioned anything to do with James Bond in my posting. Secondly, did anyone know it is the 50th anniversary of Bond films in 2012? And lastly, just after my blog went up, I had a wonderful lunch with British designer, David Mason. So, where's the connection? Deep breath...

Well, David Mason is the creative control of Anthony Sinclair. Anthony Sinclair is a bespoke tailor who, from his premises in Conduit Street, Mayfair, in the 1950s, created a classic pared down shape suit called the "Conduit Cut" (I'm getting to the Bond bit, bare with me). In 1962, Sean Connery stepped onto screen as 007 in none other than an Anthony Sinclair suit and their relationship continued until 1971. It's quite strange to think that Sean Connery was not used to wearing suits at the time and didn't feel at all comfortable. However, it was actually Terence Young (the director of Dr. No) that turned to his tailor, Anthony Sinclair, to transform Sean Connery into the suave, iconic figure we think of today. Apparently, he even made Sean where the "Conduit Cut" 24 hours a day so that he felt totally natural in the suit.

 [...]

The wonderful visit continued with lunch at The Bucks Club - a gentlemen's club (No, not that kind of gentlemen's club), which was established in 1919 at 18 Clifford Street, Mayfair. It's probably best know for creating the Bucks Fizz cocktail in 1921. A very famous former member was Winston Churchill and it just happened to be the anniversary of the great man's death on the very day we were there, 24th January, which made everything just that little bit more poignant. On the way home, I couldn't help but think where else in the world could I have had such an experience? Anthony Sinclair, "Conduit Cut", Sean Connery, The Buck Club and Winston Churchill. This, I thought to myself, is the reason I live in London and this is why with this history of men's clothing, I am such an adamant supporter of Men's Fashion Week here in London. At least this year the men's brands and tailors get a whole day dedicated to them and I will be there to support in any way I can.

Now, back to Bond.

I'm honoured that many people suggest I would make a great 007, it would certainly be any man's dream to step into those shoes. However, I think Daniel Craig is doing a fantastic job. He's a great actor and with one of my favourite sirectors (Sam Mendes) in charge of the up-and-coming Bond, I believe it will follow a much needed darker and in-depth story line and character, which I think Ian Fleming always meant for him. As for the future of Bond, there is so much British talent - Clive Owen, Henry Caville, Michael Fassbender even English-born Sam Worthington. I once read that James Bond should be so handsome you wouldn't want to leave your girlfriend with him, but so dangerous you definitely wouldn't want to fight him, and I believe that's a brilliant conclusion. There is one British guy who, for me, could take the Bond throne and that is Tom Hardy. Still, the most miraculous thing is that we are all still talking about and watching James Bond develop, 50 years after the first movie launched and I for one, cannot wait to get my "Conduit Cut" Anthony Sinclair suit to be just that little bit more like him.

Talking of recreating fictional characters. Here's my interpretation of Don Draper for the spring/summer 2012 Mad Men campaign for Banana Republic. Hope you like it!


Banana Republic SS 2012 (2)

Read More/Comments/Source: David Gandy's Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment